Favorite Books to Learn How to Read the Tarot de Marseille

Thanks for sharing the list. Was it created by ChatGPT?

Can you give more information for this book and where it can be purchased?

“The Tarot de Marseille: A New Interpretation” by Alejandro Jodorowsky

Thanks!

Thanks for posting this!

I wasn’t able to get any hits for “The Tarot de Marseille: A Guide to Interpretation” by Mary K. Greer. Is this title correct?

Good catch! I think this is another book title that ChatGPT just made up.

I think this is a good example of why AI can’t yet be trusted to give reliable information. I guess this goes to show that book recommendations from real people are still relevant and important. :grin:

2 Likes

Although it has taken me longer than expected, I’ve finally been able to record and post the video with the Tarot Books we recommend at 78 Puertas.

You can watch the video here:

My apologies for being so, so late :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollack are my 2 favorite books on the Tarot.
You could only buy the one on Major Arcana.

The source of Jodorowsky’s, Ben Dov’s and Enrique Enriquez’ etc way of reading the cards was Tchalai Unger. In 1980 she wrote the LWB for the Marseille Deck. She was also Jodo’s teacher and I think she deserves much more attention in the tarot community. Her ‘way of tarot’ is sublime. If you read the cards with ‘rhymes’, analogies between the cards, gazes etc, Tchalai is the source and a her texts on the tarot a must read.

3 Likes

Great book recommendation @Parzival!

I also agree that Tchalai Unger’s The Tarot: Why, How, and How Far is excellent. Because it is out of print, I don’t think it’s as popular or as accessible as the others listed above.

For those who are interested, here is a link to a thread on a forum where you can learn more about her. It also contains a link to download her book in English.

https://www.cultoftarotforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2281

2 Likes

I absolutely agree with you, @Parzival
That’s why I included her book in our video review of the best TdM books.
It’s really magnificent and eye opening :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’ve bought a used copy of “Tarot - How To Read The Future” by Fred Gettings published in 1973 a couple of months ago and thinking about to start reading it now. Have you read it? What do you think about it?

1 Like

I haven’t had a chance to read it yet, but the reviews look promising. Please let me know what you think, and I may try to get a copy too! :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s new to me, sorry. I have no idea :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Do you have any update about your thoughts on the book?

I found Sallie Nichols’ “Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey” to be a fascinating look at the subject. I don’t think it’s been mentioned here.

1 Like

I found this one to be extraordinarily complementary to Ben Dov’s book, and generally useful for folk cartomancy. I’ve integrated elements of both approaches.

1 Like

@Jaysunkei Which book are you referring to?

Jung and Tarot is on my reading list. Does it contain a lot of practical applications?

I read it soon after the Jodorowsky and Ben Dov books and found it both useful and fun to read. If you’re a fan of Jungian psychology, it’s definitely worth it and can be useful to diversify your readings.

1 Like